Friday, August 26, 2005

Blast from the past


There's something strangely appealing to using quarter-century old second-hand technology to create futuristic computer-controlled sounds. I finally discovered how to use my Roland MPU-101 to control the old Korg MS-20 analog synth that I've had for years. All it took was a 2N3904 transistor, a diode and a resistor and some soldering (and some thoughtful person to post the instructions -- thank you!!). My inner electronics geek is deeply satisfied :) It's allowed me to try out an idea pioneered by Pink Floyd: using an arpegiator (a Cakewalk Sonar midi effect spewing forth all sorts of manic 1/32 note high speed scales) to drive the pitch and modulation of the analog synth while madly turning filter and vco knobs with both hands. TONS of fun! Perhaps for the next song I'll try and learn what scales John Coltrane riffed on and see where that leads to. Anyways, here's the latest version of Future Shock (3:53, 5.3MB)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home